Not too long ago, many thought that eCommerce was just a fad.
But nowadays, eCommerce has clearly created significant opportunities for brands across different industries.
Ryan Maltbie, Founder at BBQGrills[dot]com, an online retailer of high-quality Outdoor Kitchen Equipment, BBQ Grills, Heaters and Outdoor Patio products, has been ahead of the game for 12+ years, having launched his first eCommerce company when he was 18.
In this episode, I sat down with Ryan to discuss his strategies for growing his current business from $0 to $2 million in one year.
What You'll Learn from Ryan Maltbie of BBQGrills.com:
- Why Ryan decided to spend $0 on PPC and what he’s investing money in instead.
- Why he relies on organic traffic instead of paid social.
- Which channels are most important to his brand.
- How COVID-19 affected his industry and how he adapted.
- How eCommerce has changed in the last five years, and eCommerce goals for 2021.
Episode Show Notes
- 1:10 - Ryan discusses his background - CEO of BBQgrills.com, 15 years in eCommerce industry, and father of four.
- 2:26 - BBQgrills.com launched in January of 2020.
- 4:20 - Ryan started his first business at 17, running an eCommerce business with his dad.
- 6:05 - Ryan discuses the purchase of the domain name BBQgrills.com and the idea behind his business.
- 7:36 - Ryan's methodology of spending $0 on paid acquisition.
- 10:13 - Ryan discusses his most important marketing channels - SEO and Email Marketing.
- 13:52 - Ryan discusses how the pandemic affected his business.
- 16:37- The average workday - During Q2 and Q3, Ryan was putting in 17 - 18 hour days.
- 19:01 - Ryan discusses his two favorite books that had the biggest impact on him: Rest, Refocus, Recharge and Detox Your Thoughts.
- 20:32 - Ryan discusses his local warehouse and distributer network.
- 22:04 - Goals for 2021 - Launch gas grill products and grow business to 5MM+.
- 24:58 - Ryan's favorite meat to grill - a thick New York steak.
- 25:15 - Ryan's favorite product on BBQGrills.com - The Primo Oval XL Ceramic Charcoal Grill.
- 26:13 - Most significant marketing change in last 5 - 10 years - Companies realizing the power of social media.
- 27:56 - The future of BBQGrills.com.
- 29:11 - The advice Ryan would give to entrepreneurs to be profitable in 1st year - "Love what you do and do it with a passion".
- Beyond Meat
- Snake River Farms
- Rest, Refocus, Recharge: A Guide to Optimizing Your Life
- Detox Your Thoughts
- The Primo Oval XL 400 Charcoal Ceramic Kamado Grill
- Ryan Maltbie LinkedIn